Friday, October 7, 2011

The Perfection of my Blog

The design of my blog is easy to read and appropriate for a college classroom about Rhetoric and Writing. The blog uses a serif font for easy reading of longer paragraphs. The font size is optimized for the internet. I also use black font to create a natural contrast from the light background and increase readability. I used a serif font because they are easier to read in long paragraphs. Sans serif fonts are more eye-catching but are much more difficult to read in length. The information is assorted into paragraphs by topic for easy reading. The entries also have headings that show what each reading is about. The colors are neutral and have a contrast that is strong enough to read easily but flat enough to reduce the strain on the eyes when looking at items of high contrast. Lastly the blog title and layout expresses who I am well. It is a very plain blog with a few birds in the top right and a sarcastic title. This represents my sarcastic attitude and my goal of becoming a more concise writer. That is not to say that my bog is perfect. Being a graphic designer, I see many flaws in my blog. I don’t like the length of my blog title. Also, it includes my name which is clearly visible on other parts of my blog, creating unnecessary repetition. Considering its flaws, it still does accomplish its purpose. It is very well aimed at its audience. The purpose of the blog is clear.

[And now I redesign my blog]

My rough blog is now my final blog. First thing that I did was fix my time. It was about three hours off from the regular time. Then I had to change my blog title to something equally sarcastic but more concise. I chose ‘Does my blog title go here?’ I decided to drop the name on the end and reword it to be a little more concise. Then I removed my ‘Followers’ from the blog. I wasn’t using this feature and it was simply taking up space. After that I wrote a very short about me and put it on my blog as to not seem as anonymous. Then I fixed all of the blog titles: some of them didn’t even have titles.While doing this, I noticed that the formatting in some of my posts was off. Some fonts change randomly for a non-aesthetic reason. I fixed this. My redesign was inspired by Google and WolframAlpha. Both sites accomplish a lot with a very concise design. Google is literally a blank page with nothing but the essentials. WolframAlpha is one of the most powerful computing engines on the internet but their main page is more simple than most sites that do much less. This inspired me to remove a lot of extras from my blog. If Google and WolframAlpha can contain the amount of information they do in such little space, I should be able to shorten up my blog a little. The choices I made consciously contribute to the larger rhetorical situation I am creating by being more concise and more consistent. I am going for a neutral blog that is concise and easy to read. My choices removed many errors, made my blog more concise, and did not remove from the identity of the blog. Also, these choices satisfy the criteria for an English 15 blog because what I did fixed many visual faux pas. I even went through all of my grammar and fixed the mistakes I found. An English 15 blog is expected to be visually simple, easy to read, and consistent, and my changes helped to complete this criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment